Outlook : Crazy football....

The most awaited 20th FIFA World Cup is finally over with a total of 64 matches being played and GERMANY emerging as the winning team to take the World Cup home.

With it, came an end to all the fun, the late night planning's to see the matches, cheering up for a particular team, whom my friends were dead against.;) The watching of some really long chased matches with no goals being scored till the 90th minute, and some where, goals would be scored within 15 minutes of the start. There even came a point, where me of all people went crazy enough to stream the game online and watch it.

This World Cup season gave me so crazy instances to remember. The typical me falling asleep during almost all the important matches by 2 a.m. or 2:30 a.m. and getting up by the cheers or the shouts of my friends, whenever a goal was scored or was missed. The crazy technical discussions, where it would be adjudged whether it was offside or not, or whether a yellow card or a red card should have been given. Or maybe how a terribly missed goal could have been saved or how beautifully the goals were being scored by the players. I am definitely going to miss all these.


Watching the finale between Germany and Argentina was the ultimate treat. I was supporting Germany amidst group of bongs, who were die hard Messi fans. You could have imagined my plea if at all Argentina would have won. I would have been outnumbered, cornered, booed and just shooed away...just kidding. ;) It was a sight to see, with all eyes in the room glued on Messi. It was as if he was a magician with a wand, and people were just waiting for the moment when he would cast his spells and the goal would be scored. On an all, Germany played really well and dodged the ball so beautifully that they did not give Messi much of a chance to score. There were times during the match, where Messi couldn't even be seen. Messi-Messi, he played well but the loss, broke many hearts and sadly enough he didn't live up to the expectations of numerous people. Even his disappointment after the game was clearly visible. When he was awarded the Golden Ball, there was not even a smile on his face. High hopes were pinned on him after the semi-finals but alas.
Anyway from my perspective, everything should be taken in good spirit, being disheartened never helps. The lessons learnt from the game, would be useful in future games. :)

Not being much of sport fanatic, the game of cricket was still tolerable to me, that too the 20-20 matches. Football had always been a game which tested my patience, probably owing to my ignorance towards the game and also the lack of good company.

I still remember the first complete football match that I saw, was around two years back. It was on insistence by a close good friend, who is a die hard Chelsea fan. I remember it was a match between Chelsea and some other team, and some "xyz" league was going on. I can still recall the pain it was to watch the 90 minute long match all alone, just looking blindly at the screen waiting for a goal to be scored.

But this season, I would definitely say I had awesome fun watching the matches. I guess watching any sport is more entertaining when there are group of friends to watch along. But when in a group or maybe otherwise as well, if you follow any game, the game does get personal. Somewhere at the back of your head, you are just wishing and praying, the team that you are supporting should be the one winning the matches.

Even I supported couple of teams through the phases of the World Cup, but sadly they got eliminated. But from all the teams that I supported, I so wished that Netherlands would win the World Cup.

At the end of this World Cup, the one good thing is that I can write so much about my experience of watching the game, where once, ONCE UPON A TIME ,more or less I detested the game. :P

In one way it also strikes off one of the must do things in life, which you can find in abundance, published all over the net. ;)

Although not an adept at understanding the game, but as always something is better than nothing. There would be a time where I would understand the nuances of the game better.

Finally the vote of thanks. :P I owe this all to my Bong friends, who created the right ambiance and the enthusiasm for watching the game which eventually also increased my affinity towards the game. :)

Cheers to life!!

~Believe in yourself always!!

Comments

Popular Posts